[dropcap]Norwegians are accustomed to cold, dark winter days. To help get through the frigid months, refuge is found in the coziness of a warm and inviting indoor space. Channel this mentality and create your own sanctuary to retreat from the stresses of your surroundings. The best place to start? A relaxing bedroom.[/dropcap]
So, what is it that the most comfortable bedrooms have in common?
- Calming Colors: Select hues that will help promote feelings of peacefulness. For wall color and textiles choose soft earth tones or a pale blue or yellow to create a sleep-promoting environment. Avoid anything too bright or bold like orange or red.
- A Fireplace or Candles: There’s something comforting about the flickering glow of a fireplace, plus it provides warmth on a cool winter evening in the bedroom. If you don’t have a fireplace in your room add a few candles.
- A Reading Nook: A cozy corner of your own is the best place to unwind with a good magazine, finish up work or scroll through your favorite social media channel. Plus, having a place to sit in your room that is not the bed is a bonus.
- Storage: There’s nothing more stressful than a cluttered space. Tuck away all unnecessary items to create a clean and comforting space.
And what makes a bedroom sleep like a dream?
- Complete Darkness: Light can affect our sleep habits. To get a solid night’s rest, block any outdoor lights with blackout blinds or curtains.
- Cool Temperature: We sleep best in a cool setting – try keeping your room at 65 degrees Fahrenheit.
- An Incredible Mattress: If you are tossing and turning all night it may be time to invest in a new mattress best suited to your sleep style and comfort preference.
- White Noise: A bit of noise in the background isn’t for everyone, but if you can’t sleep without it find ways to incorporate it in your bedroom. Add a fan to your dresser or purchase a white noise machine to lull yourself to sleep.
Not all of these things have to be included in your updated bedroom, just be sure to make key changes that make you feel more at ease. Chunky cable knit throws in soothing colors, a fluffy mattress topper for the bed and the perfect chair for reading are a few simple places to start. Soon you’ll be able to relax and enjoy a space meant for peace and tranquility.